March 1, 2011 in career talk
Passing along a job opportunity posted to the CoPress listserv yesterday from Dan Petty: #
You’ll be joining senior web developer Joe Murphy (@joemurph on Twitter) and another, yet-to-be-named senior web developer. We’re looking for folks who are excited both about fulfilling the local mission of a large-size regional daily news organization and doing innovative work with presenting structured data on the web. #
The Jr. Web Software Developer will provide support to the interactive team with all aspects of building and maintaining digital products. #
Essential Functions: #
- Support senior staff with website + web application design and development, maintaining websites, and input and verification of data to ensure product delivery.
- Participate in meetings and carry out research as it pertains to projects.
- Carry out other duties as may be assigned or requested.
- Standing 5%, walking 10%, sitting 85% of shift.
- Use computer to design and develop digital products approximately 85% of the shift
- Possess basic knowledge of web development methodologies.
- Fundamental skills in OOP – Python or PHP skills are a plus.
- Experience with a DBMS.
- Command of grammar and spelling.
- A passion for local news, structured data.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to listen to others and accept input from team members.
- Values internal and external clients and responds to their needs as they arise.
- 4 year degree or certificate from art or technology institute desired, or equivalent experience.
- Understanding of a version control system.