Mindy McAdams forces me to write this. This afternoon, she writes a passionate (if that’s not an overused word) weblog post about training future generations of journalists: Getting (and Keeping) a job in journalism. Her advice is right on: #
- Get off of MySpace and Facebook and start making Web sites from scratch.
- Quit wallowing in the verbiage of Slate and Salon and start searching the blogs. Get an RSS reader and learn to use it.
- Stop watching YouTube and start making videos of your own (and then post them on YouTube).
- Take the earbuds out and buy a microphone.
- Stop mixing music and start mixing interviews and natural sound.
- Start figuring out why this Web site is easier to use than this one.
In the meantime, you might want to print out Mindy’s post and tape it to a wall in your newsroom somewhere where every would-be Hunter Thompson and Eddie Adams can read it. ##